Retinol is one of the best-known types of retinoids. It is a form of synthetic Vitamin A that can target the four signs of skin ageing, helping to minimise the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, smooth skin, even skin tone, and minimise the appearance of pores. Read on to find out more about this skin care ingredient that’s definitely worth its weight in gold — and why our new Dynamic Skin Retinol Serum is an absolute must for your skin care routine.
why is retinol used?
Skin ageing occurs for several reasons – research suggests up to 50% of visible signs of skin ageing come from our exposome. Your exposome includes factors such as climate, UV exposure, pollution, sleep, diet and stress. These factors can be healthy or unhealthy but a chronically unhealthy exposome can accelerate skin ageing beyond what our DNA alone would dictate. In addition to this, as skin ages, cell turnover and collagen production slow down. Visible signs of skin ageing (dark spots, fine lines, wrinkles, etc.) appear because our skin’s natural defense mechanisms weaken due to slower cell renewal and skin recovery. Retinol is an excellent treatment choice for premature skin ageing with its ability to accelerate skin renewal.
how does retinol work on skin?
Retinol encourages skin cell turnover and renewal. This gives skin a smoother, more even-toned appearance. To tolerate retinol, skin often has to build up what are called ‘retinoid receptors’ first. These receptors are proteins that are naturally found in skin, and they help retinol do its work. Skin can build retinoid receptors through controlled exposure, which is why it’s often recommended to start slowly with retinol products and build up to higher concentrations.
what are the benefits of retinoids?
- Increases cell turnover and accelerates skin renewal
- Effectively evens out discolouration
- Smoothing damage that occurs during skin ageing
- Help to decrease the amount of collagen breakdown from sun exposure
- Stimulate the production of new collagen
meet dynamic skin retinol serum
When it comes to Retinol, it’s important to look for supporting ingredients that help balance irritation while boosting benefits. Dynamic Skin Retinol Serum is a high-performance, easy-to-use serum that harnesses an advanced Retinol blend plus a booster to help transform the appearance of skin. The 3.5% retinoid complex supports a continual release of skin-smoothing actives that work at different speeds to address four signs of skin ageing.
how does it work?
Fast-acting Granactive Retinoid®: A gentle yet effective, advanced Retinoid that helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles while improving skin tone, texture, and minimising the look of pores.
Retinol: Boosts skin-cell turnover for smoother skin and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Time-released encapsulated Retinol: Delivers pure Retinol into the skin, supporting the continual release of skin-smoothing actives for improved skin tone and texture.
Retinol booster: Helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Concentrated Squalane: Improves skin’s moisture barrier to help skin’s recovery for healthier-looking skin.
Oat-derived Beta-Glucan: Helps restore skin and improve resilience.
how should I use retinol?
- We recommend incorporating Retinol products into your evening skin care routine to avoid irritation from sun exposure in the day. It’s also very important to remember to wear an SPF every day, as using retinol products can increase sensitivity to UVA/UVB rays.
- Begin using retinol gradually: slowly building up your skin’s tolerance helps avoid and reduce irritation. Start by using it once every week, then every other day, then ultimately every day.
- When using Dynamic Skin Retinol Serum, apply a thin layer over face after cleansing. Be sure to keep out of eyes. If dryness or redness occurs, reduce frequency.
Want to learn more about which skin care products are right for you? Visit your local Dermalogica skin therapist for a completely customised regime.